Table of Contents
Looking for the best Arnold Palmer quotes? We have you covered! Here are the most-loved success, golf, and life quotes from The King of Golf.
Arnold Palmer is one of the most charismatic and influential golfers of all time. He was born in 1929 in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, and began playing golf at a young age. He quickly developed into a talented player and went on to have an incredibly successful career.
Mr. Palmer won 62 PGA Tour events, including 4 Masters tournaments (1958, 1960, 1962, and 1964). His achievements were numerous including the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President George W. Bush in 2004.
One of his most loved characteristics was his magnetic personality and his ability to connect with fans. He was one of the first golfers to achieve celebrity status and helped to grow the sport of golf into the global phenomenon it is today.
Arnold Palmer passed away in 2016 at the age of 87, but his legacy continues to live on through his inspiring words. Below are our favorite Arnold Palmer Quotes of all time.
Arnold Palmer Quotes on Success
1. “The road to success is always under construction.”
2. “You must play boldly to win.”
3. “Concentration comes out of a combination of confidence and hunger.”
4. “Winning isn’t everything, but wanting it is.”
5. “Here is a philosophy of boldness to take advantage of every tiny opening toward victory.”
6. “I can only tell you one thing that I do know for sure, I am a dreamer. There are not many people that will recognize or want to recognize the fact that they are dreamers in their own life … I continue to get up in the morning, enthusiastically, and go pick up a golf club with a thought that I can somewhere find that secret to making the cut. That’s just an example, but it applies to other things in life, too, and that’s the way I live and the way I think and the way I feel.”
7. “When people ask what’s driven me all these years, I always give the same answer. It’s you.”
Arnold Palmer Quotes on Golf
8. “I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone’s golf game. It’s called an eraser.”
9. “Golf is a game of inches. The most important are the six inches between your ears.”
10. “The more I practice the luckier I get.”
11. “One thing I’ve learned over time is, if you hit a golf ball into water, it won’t float.”
12. “What other people may find in poetry, I find in the flight of a good drive.”
13. “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented.”
14. “Putting is like wisdom – partly a natural gift and partly the accumulation of experience.”
15. “What do I mean by concentration? I mean focusing totally on the business at hand and commanding your body to do exactly what you want it to do.”
16. “Jack (Nicklaus) navigates more by brain. I go more by heart. Intellect versus instinct. Jack versus Arnie.”
17. “I never rooted against an opponent, but I never rooted for him either.”
18. “Success in this game depends less on strength of body than strength of mind and character.”
19. “Establish a system you have confidence in and rely on it when you get into tough situations.””Swing your swing. Not some idea of a swing. Not a swing you saw on TV. Not that swing you wish you had. No, swing your swing. Capable of greatness. Prized only by you. Perfect in it’s imperfection. Swing your swing. I know, I did.”‘
20. “Why hit a conservative shot? When you miss it, you are in just as much trouble as when you miss a bold one.”
19. “It seemed like the guys that were really good always had a neat style for dressing. Hogan, Demaret, Nelson: They were the sharp dressers.”
20. Success in golf depends less on strength of body than upon strength of mind and character.
Read Next: The 10 Best & Craziest Animal Golf Head Covers for Gifts
Arnold Palmer Quotes on Life
21. “The most rewarding things you do in life are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.”
22. “I’m not much for sitting around and thinking about the past or talking about the past. What does that accomplish? If I can give young people something to think about, like the future, that’s a better use of my time.”
23. “Always make a total effort, even when the odds are against you.”
24. “I’ve learned the great value of diplomacy and seeking an honorable peace. But part of that wisdom is knowing when to fight and another part is knowing when to fight even harder.”
25. “The secret of concentration is the secret of self-discovery. You reach inside yourself to discover your personal resources, and what it takes to match them to the challenge.”
26. “Trouble is bad to get into but fun to get out of. If you’re in trouble, eighty percent of the time there’s a way out.”
27. “What’s the point of signing something if the person can’t read it or later can’t even remember who it was.” (Explaining why he took so much pride in his autograph being legible).
28. “Should have’ and ‘did’ may be neighbors, but they don’t always get along.”
29. “I began my day as I always do, by exercising and then downing a quart of water as my grandmother used to do in order to get the plumbing properly functioning.”
30. “Concentration, Confidence, Competitive urge, Capacity for enjoyment.”
31. “Making a positive change in the life of a child is one of the most significant things you can do.”
32. “We don’t need to tear down in order to build up.”
33. “As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that we need to be constantly challenged to examine ourselves and see what we can give back to this life.”
34. “I’ll have a Mr. Palmer.” (Mr. Palmer ordering an Arnold Palmer drink, a mixture between iced tea and lemonade).
Arnold Palmer Quotes from Books
If you liked these quotes, you’ll find even more great finds by reading his two biographies. A Golfer’s Life and A Life Well Played: My Stories. Both are excellent books and highly rated among readers with stories that will motivate, inspire, and may also bring you to tears!
Final Thoughts Quotes by Arnold Palmer
And that’s a wrap on the 34 best Arnold Palmer quotes! Hopefully, they inspired you like The King of Golf did for so many years, and now lives on through his words.